Gluten Free Red Quinoa Salad
The perfect throw-together salad for a picnic in the park! Certified gluten free by the CSA. Author: Melissa Belser, CSA
Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 20 mins
Total time 30 mins
Serves: 6-8 people
- 1 cup red quinoa (or white quinoa)
- 2 cups no salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (finely chopped)
- 2 small limes (juiced, with seeds removed)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (not garlic salt)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 10 ounce can Rotel style tomatoes
- 1 16 ounce can low sodium garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup red onion (finely chopped)
- 6 inch long English cucumber (chopped)
- Place 1 cup of quinoa in a fine wire mesh strainer and rinse for about 30 seconds. Let excess water drain off for a few seconds and place in a nonstick pot.
- Add 2 cups of no salt stock or water and cook for 15 to 20 minutes covered, on low medium heat.
- While quinoa is cooking chop cilantro and vegetables. Add juiced lime, cilantro, vegetables, garbanzo beans and seasonings to large glass bowl. Stir to coat.
- When quinoa is done, all the liquid will be absorbed and the texture will be fluffy. Remove lid, stir with a fork, and let cool for 10-15 minutes (If quinoa isn’t allowed to cool it will be affect the texture).
- Add quinoa to large glass bowl and stir all ingredients together. Set aside for 30 minutes before serving.